Thursday, March 02, 2006

What a difference a little rain makes

As I've mentioned before, it's been really dry here. No doubt, you all heard about the grass fires up in Cross Plains and elsewhere in Texas and Oklahoma. I took this picture a couple weeks ago. This was taken in the empty lot next to our house. It's been so dry that the ground cracks. The cracks in this picture are almost an inch wide. There was an article in the paper advising people to water around their foundations to prevent heaving as a result of this type of movement and separation.



The good news is that we're finally starting to get some rain. About a week ago we had our first Texas thunderstorm. A few days later, I took this picture in roughly the same spot that I had taken the first image just a few weeks ago.



Amazing, isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like things are getting better as far as ground moisture and precipitation go out there. I remember when Indiana suffered an extended drought back in the 1980's. The cracks you took pictures of remind me of what the cornfield looked like.