Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Michelle Obama Is My Friend

The political season is definitely in full swing in Texas and everyone is clamoring for our precious votes down here. As a result of the tight democratic race, we've gotten to know Michelle Obama. You see, she calls our house nearly every day. The polsters have this well timed. She's never interrupted our dinner. Usually she seems to call just after we're through eating while we're sitting at the table.

You see, no one really calls us that much, so when the phone rings we can pretty much be sure that it's Michelle calling again. She's very polite, but I just can't figure her out. Really. I mean, she calls and says, "Hi! This is Michelle Obama."

"Hi Michelle," I reply.

"I'm calling to ask you to vote for my husband Barack. If we can count on your support, press one now."

"Really? You're calling just to ask me?"

"Obama needs your help. He stands for change and hope. blah..blah..blah... Press one if we can count on your vote."

And on and on she goes for about 2 or 3 minutes until she politely thanks me for my time and hangs up on me.

Now, this happens about 5 times a week. I've come to enjoy our little chats with Michelle. I even invited her for dinner a few days ago. When she asked me if she could count on my vote for Barack I replied, "Michelle, we'd love to have you and Barack over for dinner. Press one now to accept."

Funny, but she didn't answer me.

Tonight, I fear, will be the last night our post-dinner time will be graced with a call from Mrs. Obama. Ya'll are going to have to start calling about 6:15 in order to take up the slack.

No comments: