Friday, December 30, 2005

Is that a mouse or just Chili Rellenos?

It was my wife's birthday a few weeks ago so we went out to eat to celebrate. This was extra special since her parents also happened to be in town.

Now, the restaurant we went to is a great Tex-Mex place. Really good food. The food is generally really hot and spicy, and really flavorful. I've only been there a few times, but I usually leave feeling like I ate something extremely good, but also wondering whether or not my tongue would set off the smoke alarms when I walk in the house. I keep hearing about how good chili rellenos are, but I hadn't actually gotten up the nerve to try them since they are basically Anaheim Peppers stuffed with cheese. I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try.

Man... they were good. Really good. But when I got closer to the top of the peppers I realized that they hadn't removed the seeds, and the seeds contain the oil that gives the peppers their "heat". I decided I couldn't quite handle all that in one sitting without regretting it a few hours later, so, I finished everything else on my plate and asked for a "to go" box.

I chatted with everyone at the table for a few minutes and then we all prepared to leave. I picked up one of my chili rellenos by the pepper tail and lifted it over into the "to-go" box. A look of terror flashed across my mother-in-law's face.

"HUUUUUUHHHHHH"

"What is that? Is that a MOUSE?" She whispered loudly enough to turn heads at a neighboring table.

I about busted out laughing. In the dim light of the restaurant, from 8 or 9 feet away, the Anaheim pepper I was holding did look remarkably like a mouse. We all had a great laugh and went home.

Here's a picture of my leftover chili rellenos:

No comments: