Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Push Pops

The in laws are here to spend Christmas with us. They like to come and spend a few weeks with the grandkids over Christmas. It's nice for my wife too. Since I get along so well with them, we all really have a nice time.

The other night, we went to WalMart to do our pre-company power shopping. We finished and got in line. Suddenly, Anna realized that she forgot to put something on the list. She took Hope and went to go get it while I kept our place in line with Tori.

It wasn't too long until it was almost our turn. While I loaded the stuff (a TON of it!) onto the conveyer, Tori busied herself by re-arranging the candy on the shelf. Suddenly, I looked back and she was walking away from me.

"Hey Tori, come here."

She kept walking.

"Tori... hey.... Stay with Dad."

No response.

"Tori. Stop!"

She stopped, but didn't turn around.

"Hey, you... come 'ere!"

She stood still.

"Do you want a spank?"

"No"

"Turn around."

Slowly, gingerly, she turned around. In her fat little fingers was a Push Pop. I looked down. Push Pop wrapper on the floor.

I looked at Tori. Red stuff on her coat. Red stuff on her hands. I think she thought her gig was going to be up shortly because, man, she was going to town on that Push Pop. I've never seen her tongue move so fast. She was going to savor every little bit that she could before I inevitably took it away.

But really, there wasn't really a lot I could do. After all, I couldn't exactly put it back on the shelf. She had been really good in the store, so I thought... hey, why not just let her keep the dumb thing. It's only 39 cents. I looked at Tori and I asked, "Do you want a Push Pop honey?"

"Peeeeeaas" (Please)

Anna returned with the item that she forgot. Tori looked at her and said, "Heee mama .. (Here Mama)... see wan some? (Do you want some?)...

When we got home, we had to give her a bath.... Push Pop in her hair... Her clothes, hands, running down her neck, running into her diaper... I'm still not sure how she managed that one....

No comments: